I’ve been asked for this recipe, so I thought I’d share it here. It is based off the recipe in Nancy Cain’s Against the Grain cookbook, with a few modifications.
- 2 oranges (I use organic navel oranges).;
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (56g) of coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- Scrub clean the outside of the oranges.
- Grate the rind of the oranges directly into the blender.
- Peel the oranges and then slice them into one inch chunks, ensuring there are no seeds, and put directly in blender.
- Add to blender powdered sugar, coconut oil (make liquid, so you might need to heat it first), eggs, and coconut flour.
- Mix until well bended (usually less than a minute in the Vitamix, might be longer in less powerful blender).
- Wait 5 minutes (this allows the coconut flour to absorb liquid and it a critical step).
- Add baking powder to mix and blend again until mixed (about 10-20 seconds).
- Poor into baking cups. I use silicon muffin tins, but last time I found they stuck a little so next time I’ll use liners.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes – this will depend on how big your tins are. When done they should spring when pressed and a toothpick should come out clean.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan (if you didn’t use liners).
These are best served cold, straight from the fridge. They are OK warm, but the intense orange flavour comes out much better when refrigerated.
At some point I’m going to experiment with Meyer lemons.